Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Walking for a cure

In June of 2002 I walked 39.3 miles over the course of two days, with the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer, to raise awareness and funds in the fight against breast cancer.  The actual walking part of it wasn't incredibly difficult, although 26 miles in one day is pretty far!  But walking with a sign on my shirt that said "in honor of my mother... Patricia Lieber  June 30, 1949 - June 11, 1992" that was the hardest part.


I walked alone, except for the people I met along the way.  And I must say it was an incredible experience.

This weekend I'm going on that same fundraising walk, another 39.3 miles.  But this time I'm thrilled to say that I'm walking with my mom's cousin, Midge.  She also lost her mom to breast cancer.  I'll have a ribbon in my bag with the names of everyone I've known who has been affected by this horrible disease.

Here's to hoping the end is in sight, and that my child and his generation won't feel the affects the same way we did.  I'm "in it to end it!"

No comments: