Friday, October 21, 2011

Avon Walk recap

Last weekend Midge and I walked 39.3 miles with the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer.  We also each raised over $2000 in donations.  Today Ben, Arlo and I were walking around in Manhattan and my knee started hurting.  It was killing me last weekend.  So I found myself wondering why the heck I'm considering walking those same 39.3 miles again next year.  ;)

October 15, 2011

These first couple pictures are from the halfway mark and the finish of Day 1.  We officially walked 26.2 miles that day, although I might argue it was longer, plus there's the .9 miles that I walked from the MTA to the opening ceremonies...  We were re-routed to avoid delays with the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations.  Midge and I didn't know each other all that well, but after 2 days and 40 miles, I think she's great!  :)  It was a wonderful experience doing this walk with her.  By around mile 24, I was hurting.  For some reason I hadn't realized we were going to be walking on city sidewalks with all the other yahoos that are in the city on a Saturday!!  I had figured we'd walk the length of the city by the rivers a couple of times and be done with it.  But no.  We walked up the west side, down 9th Avenue, through the West Village, Soho, over the Brooklyn Bridge, back over the Manhattan Bridge, meandered back and forth up the east side.  There was so much pedestrian traffic and so many stop lights that I'm sure we would have been done about 2.5 hours sooner without so much stop and go.  But we made it!! 

October 16, 2011

Day 2, a little slower, and we made it!!!  :)

Finished!

No comments: