Monday, October 11, 2010

The longing

Last Wednesday I went to an open level class at Virayoga.  I loved it!  The teacher, Zhenja, was amazing.  I've never taken a class with her, so before class started she came and visited with me for a few minutes.  At one point she asked where I practice yoga, and I said "I'm here now."  And I think it's the right place for me to be!  I've decided to make this Wednesday evening class a regular part of my week. 

Zhenja talked about many things throughout that class, but one that really resonated with me was something her teacher Dr. Douglas Brooks says.  "If you make a mistake, don't do it again.  And then if you do it again, don't do it again."  It's a reminder that we're human and we do make mistakes.  But it's important to try to become a better person, and not to focus on or get hung up on past errors or situations.  We should have the longing for more, and sometimes that's enough.  It's a good reminder that I don't have to always have a perfect practice.  I just have to do what I can, be present and strive for more.

No comments: