Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Moon

Image via Science On a Sphere

There was a full moon 14 years ago on the night when Ben found a little black kitten, who he named Moon.  Our Moon girl has had a good life, a life of leisure, I might say.  She hasn't had to hunt for food or look for warmth or affection.  She has had to deal with a young human cub these last nineteen months, but he has loved her and learned to be gentle with her in his adoration.  She, in turn, has been incredibly tolerant and sweet with him.  They are fast friends.  There have been plenty of scratches, but only when he deserved them.

Our Moon


I am so sad that we had to say goodbye to Moon this evening, and I am still kind of in shock.
I know I shouldn't be surprised.  She's an older cat, and has never been the picture of health.  We took her to the vet a week ago and found out she had hyperthyroidism, so I guess I thought she was getting better and would stick around for awhile.  If we lived in the country she probably would have left us a few weeks ago, and not come back.  But for some reason it's still a sad surprise.

Arlo really loves Moon, probably as much as we do.  He follows her around the house and says her name.  I really wanted her to live long enough for him to remember her.

I think we're going to be a family of two legged creatures for awhile.  I figure someday Arlo will ask for another pet, and we'll want to oblige his request.  But for now, all I can say is that I'm eternally grateful for the good times and the good love we had with Moon.  I will miss her a lot.

No comments: