Thursday, September 8, 2011

Vacation!!

Sometimes when life gets hectic I end up cutting some corners here or there.
Sometimes my eating habits suffer, I don't do enough yoga or get enough sleep (or all three!).
Sometimes I sound like a broken record, but working from home truly is both a blessing and a curse.

It's been absolutely amazing being able to be home with Arlo and watch him grow and change, being able to take care of him and be there through everything, while still having an income.  One of the major downsides, though, is that since I can work from home, I can work from anywhere.  I've worked from California, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and even Hawaii.  Every one of those trips has been wonderful, but I haven't had a work-free vacation since August 2008.

So our trip to MontrĂ©al this past week was absolute heaven.  It wasn't until a few days into our trip, when we went to our friends' cottage on a lake in the mountains (no internet), that I really finally let go, unwound and realized just how much I was carrying with me.  And once I got to that point, it was bliss.  I know that being a mother is going to be a balancing act--juggling work, marriage, the needs of my boy, and my own needs too.  And this incredible vacation was exactly what I needed!





I haven't felt so calm, so settled, so determined in a really long time.  It was nice to come back to the city with new resolve.  You can bet it won't be three more years before I leave that work phone behind and take another real vacation! 

No comments: